For our study of Asia:
Fortune cookie batter is like crepe batter and works better if it sits overnight before baking.
1/2 Cup flour
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2. Beat into flour mixture until smooth:
1/4 cup melted butter
4 large egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 Tablespoons milk
3. cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
4. Drop batter a tablespoon at a time onto a buttered, non-stick baking sheet. Space cookies 3 inches apart because they spread a lot. Make only two cookies the first time, then four cookies at a time after that if you are fast enough with the folding process.
5. Bake at 300 for 10 min. until edges are golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and use a metal spatula to slide on cookie onto a smooth kitchen towel.
7. Wearing gloves and working quickly, place a paper fortune on the center of the cookie, fold the cookie in half, and press the edges to seal.
8. Bend the folded edge over the rim of a glass to give the cookie the familiar shape.
9. Place in a muffin cup to help keep the shape until cool.
10. Repeat quickly!
Love is Easy - Simple Anniversary
2 years ago